Thursday, May 14, 2009

Well, I'm about done planting, almost.  Dan put together some wooden planter boxes for me out of some scrap wood we have.  I thought it would be so simple to do.  He cut all the wood up, and I was going to just nail it all together the next day. Sure, like some super easy build-your-own-planter box kit or something. Ha! What a joke.  It's pretty hard to nail stupid nails in stupid wood.   With a stupid hammer by the way.  I'm sure it's no surprise I did not get the boxes made.  I was so disappointed.  I felt like such a failure.  I wanted to plant my new veggies in them... right now!  And I couldn't cus I couldn't make those dumb boxes.  I called Dan in a tizzy, and he just said wait till he got home.  I knew what that meant.  It would be raining by then. He'd say wait till tomorrow.  Boy, I have a hard time waiting.  I poked around, finally settling on doing the dishes.  Not before lamenting to Rose about my boxes, and asking if I should go and try again, or just leave it alone.  My wise six year old so confidently said, 'Just leave them alone.'  Once again, really hard for me to do.  But I did.  Dan came home and went out to the back porch with me, in the rain.  He whipped those boxes up in no time flat.  I think he could've done them in his sleep.  He made it look so effortless! I think my jaw was on the cement floor.  I just love my husband for all he does for me!

Today, I went to fill the boxes.  There was one left Dan didn't put together, and I felt a little more confident today to try to do that.  I lined things up and tried to do it just as I had seen Dan do.  For the most part, it went together nicely.  Don't look at the bottom of it though.  I took a little steam out on that one nail that just kept getting more and more crooked, so I said the heck with it and beat it into the wood!  Yeah, Dan never did that, in case you were wondering. :)
I got a bunch of veggies from freecycle.  There's a guy in east Dayton with the nicest city garden I've ever seen.  I was so impressed with it!  It looked just like the pictures in the gardening book I have! He had tons of lettuce, kale and collard starts.  I gladly took them home, and put them in my planter boxes.  I don't know how the kale will do.  I did plant some kale and collards and the rest of my onions in my herb garden.  There's still some room for some more herbs and flowers, though. I didn't take a picture, but I put the boxes all around the herb garden.  Not sure I really like that, but it will do for now.  I'm glad to have discovered kale.  I've only heard good things about it, and I'm interested in how it will grow.  
So that's that for my veggie garden.  It's just what I set out to do, and the planter boxes finished it!  I'm so excited to have such a nice variety of things growing!

1 comments:

Janelle said...

I know what you mean-I feel like I should be able to do all the things Tim can do, but it turns out I am a girl and I don't have the strength or the skill set. I guess it's been ingrained in me that I can do anything a man can do, but it's really not so easy. But then again, I can grow a baby, so I think it all evens out :)

Post a Comment