Sunday, May 31, 2009

So I went running again last wed. and loved it.  My legs felt okay. Not too much knee pain at all.  The runs went really well.  It wasn't too hard, which is nice.  You don't dread something that's not too hard!

I get to thinking a bit while running. Hey you gotta do something to not think about running, and when you get to stop!  I like running with this group.  It makes me think so much about my track days.  The only real similarity is that I'm running on a track, with a group.  Other than that, things are a bit different.  
I do like this "coach". Don't really know what else to call him.  He's the one that calls the shots. I love that the group I'm in is all about you.  Your goals, your perseverance, your training.  There are about three or four groups of 3-4 people that do the same trainings together, and I'm all by my lonesome.  I'm pretty low on the totem pole.  I haven't run a marathon, or even a 10k.  I'm not a card carrying member of the Ohio river road runners club.  I just like to run.  And I'm not really good at it.  But most of time I'm there, I don't care!  It doesn't bother me. I can be ridiculously competitive, unreasonably so.  Being at the bottom would typically bug me.  But here, it doesn't. I really do believe them when they say they take runners of all levels.  
I like running on my own schedule, pushing myself to meet my goals.  Maybe I haven't had anything like that in a while (other than finish all the laundry and dishes in one day!).  It's nice.  It differs from high school.  I am such a pleaser.  I wanted to run well to please the coaches, and the teammates, to help win the city title (which we did!).  I was too enamored with being part of this team and discovering I could be a runner to worry about my own personal running goals.   I just adored the coaches in high school, and I was just thrilled to be on 'the team'.  See, I used to think that the only people that ran track were born fast runners.  Partly true.  But like anything else, you may not be blessed with tremendous talent, but it can be something that is nurtured and developed.  So that's what I did when I ran track for one season, my senior year.  It did so many positive things for me, and I to this day attribute my track days for helping me grow as an adult.  Sounds crazy, I know. I'm sure I'll reference it from time to time to give you the whole idea. Sorry it all seems so philisophical.
I think that's one of the reasons I still enjoy running.  It makes me feel good, and it has many postive effects on me!
Sorry if this post has been a bore.  I could drone on about something like running.
 

1 comments:

Janelle said...

I hear ya! I'm glad you are doing something for you that makes you feel good. It's important as a wife and mother to take care of yourself so you can continue to take care of others. It's a lesson I'm still learning.

Post a Comment