Thursday, May 21, 2009

I'll squeeze in one more post before I turn in. Tomorrow will definitely be a coffee day!


So I went running on Wed. night.  I found out there are several 'training groups' all over the Dayton and surrounding areas.  This one is in Oakwood, at the high school track.  
I was a bit nervous to go, but I wanted to.  I want to start running again for several reasons.  I got some good, supportive running shoes, and I was off.
The guy in charge, the 'coach' was really nice.  Actually, so was everyone in the group.  There were about a dozen or so people, mostly men.  Probably 5 women including myself, so I didn't feel too out of place.  Age-wise, there was a nine year old, and then from there I think one or two others younger than me.  The rest older.  Again, no big deal.  I kinda expected that.
So how was it, you ask?  I was a bit surprised when the coach said he'd start me off with a mile, walk a lap, another mile, another lap and then see from there.  Wow!  That would be a 'hard' workout for me in my 5k training days!  I am just so lazy, always looking for the easy way out, even while I'm exercising!
I did the two miles no problem. My knees felt tight, but not too bad.  Then he had me do ten 100s.  That wasn't bad at all.  I kept waiting for it to get worse, but it didn't.  He said he'd start me off slow, of course.  I tend to bite off more than I can chew, then pay for it later.  So that was cool.
The others seemed to be working up a good sweat, so I guess that's what I have to look forward to!
I felt like I was standing around a lot, waiting to be told what to do, and for me, that's wasting precious time.  But, alas, I need to just grow in patience.  I needed to wait for my heart rate to slow.  I resisted the temptation to ask, 'what next?', and just waited until I was directed to go on. I can see, though, as weeks go on, that I will hopefully get stronger and have a better feel for how the practices run, and then really feel like I'm getting the most out of them.
Getting late. More on that later.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Well that sounds like fun! I do all of my running and training by myself and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Probably both :)

Are you just running again for fun, or training for something in particular?

There are lots of 5ks around-maybe we could do one together sometime?

Dan and Peg said...

I'm running mostly to stay in shape and for fun. I have to remind myself I really do love it! I've always run solo, and I always got burnt out.I think the best way for me to stay consistent is to stick with a group, and set 5k goals. I'd love to run one with ya!

Post a Comment