Well, here's a recent photo of our garden. I love it. It's changed so much since those little plants were seedlings! I know it will be over crowded in the months to come, but oh well. We'll deal with that when we get there! I think my favorite part of the garden this year, other than the layout and all, is the companion planting. I love seeing a big bush of feathery dill growing right between my cucumber plants. And my little exotic nasturtium flowers and leaves competing with the huge squash leaves for sunlight, and completely holding there own, just blooming away! It's so pretty to see the flowers amidst the blooms on the squash and cukes.
There seems to be in my garden, and as with my life, a little corner that always seems to get a bit neglected. Ah, again this year it's been my snap peas. I had such high hopes for the wiry things! I planted probably five rows, and was going to have two trellises and just gobs of peas. Well, seems like I always lose some to the birds, and the one trellis ended getting put up later than I wanted, and they seemed a bit crowded, and I ran out of compost, so they really didn't get much of any, and I let the weeds practically take over. Poor things. Some of them look like they have plenty of life left, and just want to shoot to the sky and keep blooming, but the heat is getting to them, and I think they're about done. I feel like I've failed them a bit, weeds and all, but I guess I get that way. They were a fun spring plant, the first to give us their harvest, and now we're on to massive amounts of beans and beets. So much else to be done! Alas, they will dry and wither, and I will once again write in my garden journal: plant peas and a scarecrow! Trellis early!
It's fun having about seven different fresh veggies to choose from for dinner at night. We ate our first round of beets last night. (I don't have pic on computer yet). I like the interesting heirloom variety. One of the joys of gardening...trying new things. The kids didn't seem to mind. I think Dominic ate three helpings of beets, and Sam ate all his first thing. I have a bunch, but I'm so bad at thinning, and didn't do it, so I'm paying the price now. Lots of little beets. Urgh. Maybe I'll learn some day.
On to different things...I've still been running all this time. I run on Mon. nights, just an easy few miles. I've learned I can eat dinner and run later, right before the sun sets, when the weather is much cooler. I really enjoy that. It's just me and Michael. Michael Buble, that is. I find music helps me run so much easier on a long run. Then on Wed. I run with my group. I'm a little nervous about going back this week, knowing how intense it is going to be and all. I know I'll get through it though. For that, I just mentally change gears a bit, and remind myself I do get to purposely stop and catch my breath before doing the next set.
All for now.

1 comments:
Sounds like you are having a great summer. This cooler weather has been great for running-not that I've done much, but it should be great for you tonight.
Post a Comment