Friday, June 12, 2009

Yesterday was such a beautiful day. Beautiful in the sense that it was the feast of Corpus Christi- the Body of Christ. I think it's my new favorite high holy day. I worked long and hard with the kids all afternoon at church, came home and showered, then went back for Mass that evening. The whole celebration left me so...overjoyed. I felt so renewed in spirit, and deepened in faith, and bathed by our Savior's love. For me, it was such a joy. Something I haven't experienced, at this level, for a long time. Probably since before I had kids. I remember feeling that way sooo often when I went to the Latin Mass in college. Or really any Mass that was so....everything. It had all the bells and the smells. The incense, the candles, the gold vestments, the beautiful, traditional, same old reliable standby Corpus Christi songs (you know, the ones in Latin, written by St. Thomas Aquinas, sung for thousands of years, by thousands of Catholics, all giving glory to God and Jesus's ultimate sacrifice of love in the Eucharist. Sorry, no wheat and mountains and rivers here...well, except the rivers of grace :) but I'll get to that later).

During Mass, Rose sat with the flower girls, we sat in the third pew, right behind them, Sam fell asleep and Dominic had Grandpa Peyton to keep him company. So that might be one reason I had a little more attention to give at Mass. It was like my senses were spiked, and everything was speaking to me. I felt such calm, and peace and excitement all at the same time! I should've sung in the choir that night, since I practically sang every song anyway.
So anyway, the Mass was so nice, and the procession following was very nice too. We went out the church doors, and made our way around the church by way of the parking lot, decorated with lovely designs representing the mystical Body of Christ. I just love all the symbolism and rich traditions of our faith, and this was yet another way to connect it all, to express it all, and give greater glory to God for it all.

Okay, I thought I'd get out those deeper thoughts and feelings I had about the beauty of that day. Now I'll let you know how it really went. But I still found joy in it all. I think it's because I wasn't running it, or responsible for how it was all going to go!

We got to church about 10:30. Cloudy, cloudy. There was a band of kids helping Kim (super woman in so many ways:) Here's the deal: we draw (I really mean Kim draws) these beautiful, simple pictures on the ground, then fill the chalk lines in with this hamster bedding stuff, or mulch. The bedding was dyed different colors.


We had these kids from this day camp at church helping out...before it started raining.








Then it started raining. Bye bye camp kids. A good steady rain. I think what they call an isolated shower.








Sam was helping.










Rose helped a lot.







DD discovered it's cool to put dirty puddle water in a glove. Him and Sam were soaked from the puddle.








Rainwater- great for washing hands.









The smaller kids were taken to the other side of church and designated a sidewalk square each to decorate. They turned out really cool. And it's neat when you give kids a square, what they'll come up with.





This was Rose's. Definitely one of the more decorated squares. We have Jesus in the host (right above the cross). A chalice at the very top, I love you written both to the left and the right (mirror lettering- top left). The blessed mother and angel Gabriel to the right of the cross, God in yellow to the left. Lots of love everywhere. Yep, that about sums up our faith. :)













Here are a few pictures of the final product. The blue on the stairs represent the seven rivers of grace flowing from the Blessed Sacrament...namely the seven sacraments. Each sacrament was written at the end of each 'river', with the Eucharist being in the center.


Here's some of the fancy banners we put together for the occasion. Really neat fabric to work with.














0 comments:

Post a Comment