Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Boy it's been a long time since I've blogged! We missed fourth of July, our trip to Amish country, all the craziness of everyday life!

We went to Dan's cousin's for July 4th. The incessant rain was annoying, and sure gave a chill to the air. The corn hole tournament in the garage was really fun. It was for couples and Dan and I made it to the semi-finals. As if outdoor corn hole wasn't challenging enough...move it in garage! The food was great and fireworks were cool. We just sat in their front lawn to watch them, wearing jackets and blankets.
It's been a weird July weather wise.
Then last weekend Dan and I went to Amish country with his brother and sis in law. We left early and came back late. The objective: a smoker grill, not made in china. It was met with success. We enjoyed touring the worther museum and gift shop (a museum of a local genius wood carver). My favorite part was eating at Der Dutchman. They had every food I was wanting on that chilly day...mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, chicken, gravy. Mmmm. The kids got to spend two nights with some aunts and uncles, and had a blast. We did take Sam, and it was quite nice to only have to run after one kid! He didn't like the truck ride so much, esp. on the way back. I thought he'd sleep the whole way, but he kept waking every so often and crying.
Our smoker grill is quite nice. We've used it three times. The burgers, brats and chicken were the juiciest I have ever tasted. We're still getting used to how to use it and all, but so far, we're satisfied.
I picked all the beets in the garden, and have them all peeled now, ready to can. They were a bit on the small side. I guess if I didn't thin them earlier, I am paying for it now with small beets. I'm going to pickle and can them tomorrow. I still have my bags of beans and if I don't do something quick, they're going to go bad! Then I have about four bags of cucumbers to deal with. I'm thinking pickles...probably dill. This garden stuff is exhausting!
Speaking of the garden, we now have an unwelcome guest. We've had a groundhog dig under our fence and get in the garden a couple times. He made a gash in my one and only pumpkin, and gnawed on the broccoli leaves. The broccoli is pretty much done, so I wasn't too annoyed. Then while we were away this weekend, I noticed he got in again, and this time devoured all the leaves on all my bean plants!! Urgh! Sadly, with all the other veggies backing up and needing attention, I wasn't too disappointed at the thought of being done with beans. I feel so pathetic. All that work into gardening, and when I should reap the harvest, I just let it go! I guess I have other things on my mind, too: school in the fall and cleaning, really cleaning inside and out before school starts. Just getting my life a little more organized. Trying to.

1 comments:

Janelle said...

Groundhogs are Tim's nemesis! We kill them every chance we get! Good luck getting yours.

Glad you've had an enjoyable July.

Post a Comment