Thursday, March 26, 2009

We knew it would eventually come.

Dan is back on days.
I suppose I shouldn't make it sound like such a bad thing.  I have to admit, I think we were both enjoying him working only four nights a week.
The switch doesn't seem to be too bad for Dan.  He's not sleep deprived and up all hours of the night.
It's been tough waking up, though.  Not unbearable, just tough.  Instantly, on the first day, when we woke up early was that feeling of 'Oh, I remember this.'  Not a happy feeling, mind you.  There were drawbacks to making Dan dinner and packing his lunch by 5:30pm, but I think I'd take that over making breakfast and packing lunch, while trying to wake up!  Oh how I fight it!
And then there's the going back to sleep deal.  I told myself I wasn't going to go back to sleep after Dan left.  I have for the last two days.  Today I made myself some tea, and as you'll see from the time on this post, I haven't gone back to sleep.
It's kind of a bummer, because I used to get things done after the kids would go to bed.  On our old schedule, I would get lots of things done between 10pm-1am.  Now, those hours are replaced with 6-9am.  Just not the same.  I could pull out a sewing project at 11pm and work on it for a few hours with a pretty much guarantee of no interruption.  In the morning, I feel like I am walking on eggshells.  If I make too much noise, it may wake the children.  Like I'm holding my breath, just trying not to wake them up.  I know in the past, if I woke up earlier, so did my kids, and that sometimes made for a long, cranky day. Still, there's that ideal to shoot for.  I think I'll try to keep waking up early.  That would be great if it just became a habit!
Reason #1 why I went back to sleep yesterday.  Sam woke up when Dan was leaving, so I nursed him back to sleep, and dozed off myself.
Reason #1 why I stayed awake today.  Sam slept all night! Yes!  Amazing!  I was so excited that through all the little interruptions throughout the night, I noticed Sam was not in our bed.  When he did come around saying 'mama, mama' (not crying!), at 5:30am, I was so glad to see him!  That's a long time in his bed! Yeah!  What a great feeling to get some good rest (and Sam too), and then nurse him and know he'll sleep for a couple more hours.  That's what I'm talking about. If I just knew he wouldn't wake up, maybe I would venture to sew at 6am! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment