Sunday, March 8, 2009

I didn't post about my new, long-awaited dresser!  I've been looking on craig's list for seemingly forever.  I finally found one!

Let me back up a bit...
I got a dresser at a garage sale a couple years ago.  Solid wood, but just...yuck.  Kinda like a bunch of lumber roughly put together and stained.  I sold it at our garage sale last spring.
Ever since, I've been looking for another.  Garage sales all last year, craig's list all winter.
Now I know, you're thinking I must be just sooo picky. Yes, I am, but even more so, Dan is. :)
I just wanted something at a good price, that is a tall dresser, all wood.  Dan's all about that good craftsmanship thing.
And it was out there.  I found dressers at garage sales, but they were sold.  I would look and look for a while, and get discouraged, and then when I'd look again, the good stuff would be sold. ugh!  So I kept looking this time.
I found really nice crafty ones way out of my price range.  I really didn't care about the craftiness of it all.  Something simple and sturdy would've suited me.  But the ones in my price range were pretty bulky or ugly or old.  I started to convince myself I deserved a $200 antique dresser.  I'm so frugal. I don't buy a lot.  Why not this?  I deserve it.  
I convinced dan of that in a heartbeat.  Funny how it took so little effort to say I want to blow $200!  But I didn't really want to.  I was just desperate.  I wanted something nice, and those antique ones are so cute!
I found a handful of ones on craig's list I thought were the 'one', and I have to admit I was a bit annoyed when dan kept rejecting them.  Not only did I somewhat doubt his judgement about the quality (okay, I annoyingly questioned, but deep down knew he was right), I started to wonder if he had my interests at heart.  I just kept thinking 'yeah, you say I can't have this and that and every one I show you, but when it comes to finding one, you say you'll help but you really don't care'  How cruel!  
So I found one and when I called it was still for sale.  I kept thinking, there must be something really wrong with it.  They were only asking $40!  All the other dressers I called about that were decent priced, no matter how yucky, were sold.  Not this one.
A couple days went by and I showed it to dan and tried not to be too excited. He said it looked okay, but pointed out some of the flaws.  I was insistent that I didn't really care.  I called again and it was still for sale.  We went up to see it last Sunday. 
 It was described as an antique hankie dresser.  It has four drawers, the top one being quite shallow, with an engraved design on the width of the drawer.  There was a little more carving on the other drawers.  And there's a little hankie box attached to the top of it.  It's so cool!  I'm so pleased.  See, I wouldn't have minded a simple, practical dresser.  But it's so neat to have a cute dresser, with neat little things like a narrow drawer, the engraving and the hankie box.  What a treat.  
But, it does have it's flaws.  Some of the veneer is chipped off in places, and it's just worn in places.  It smells old.  But I'm crazy like that.  Yes, I wish it was nicer condition, but I love the design.  And my clothes fit in it!  I'm quite pleased.
And I'm happy that I trusted Dan and didn't buy some other piece of junk.  Hard as it was at times, I am glad I listened to his advice when I didn't want to hear it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment