Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wow. Looking back at those lovely pictures from a week or so ago....seems so long ago. Little Blaise Andrew has come into our life, with so much joy. The birth story is for another time.

I guess I can go backwards, though. Things are finally leveling out a bit. The soreness I had nursing the first few days is dissipating. Blaise is sleeping a lot more than the first few days. Like, all day, to be a little more precise. He woke up twice today. I remember that with my others. I'm starting to feel a little better too. And then I go and do too much, and don't feel so good. So today i just rested and held my baby. Very nice.
The first couple days were a bit rough. I had some blood loss after delivery, so I was taking it easy. I had to. Nights were hard, though. Ahh, always those first few nights. I don't know how I got nursing off to a sore start, but that made night time nursing hard. Then the afterpains, when you're nursing- ugh! and on top of all that, somehow Sam came home with a cold, and I was feeling some of that-sore throat and stuffed nose at night. I remember sitting in bed at night, thinking, and crying, 'why does this have to be so hard!?' And it was nothing anyone could help me with or take away. One of those growing pains of motherhood. Thank God, things got better. Getting sleep helped; talking about my frustrations helped; a loving, supportive husband- a must.
Dan was so wonderful. Through everything. It's just the neatest thing to bring a new life into the world, but to have someone to share that joy, that complete love...is just so...
So Dan was great before, during and after delivery. He helped me the first night, and joked about now knowing what those nurses at the hospital did when he was sleeping at night! He took the kiddos to Mass on Sunday, then took care of them while I stayed in bed. I took a long afternoon nap, and when I woke up, he drew me a hot bath. That was it for me. I was ready to marry him all over again. I never felt so loved.
We had a most wonderful dinner prepared by his Mom, and Dan took care of the kids, and me, and everything. He stayed home from work Mon. and did the same. I sat on the couch pretty much all day, with our baby. He made me breakfast, and lunch, and dinner, and just took such good care of me. He's so good with the kids, and so patient, and uncomplaining. I've never felt so pampered in my life.
All these things may seem like little things. Maybe they are things that should be expected and not such a big deal. Maybe so. But I have a tendency to forget those little things, and sadly, remember the things about situations that made them less than perfect. I don't want to do that. I want to remember every little act of kindness and love my beloved did for me and for our family.
Wish I had some pics to post, but I'm on the laptop.
The kids have been having a blast taking pictures, and holding Blaise, and helping out with everything. They really have been great. Dominic is still my handful. He has been so full of energy, especially when people come over to help out, he just goes crazy and stops listening to me. Very frustrating. The funny thing is, he just adores Blaise. Since he's the only one not sniffling, he's gotten to hold Blaise quite a bit, and I welcome it because it calms him! He stops bouncing and running, and he's all tender sweetness with that baby!
I'm sure it's part hormones, but I was pondering that unequivocal love I was feeling. I left the kids and made a quick errand today. I had success in what I perceived as a possible tricky errand, so that had me feeling good. Then I just kept thinking how happy I was right now. Happy to have so much love in my life. Happy that my love tank was not just full, but overflowing. I guess I was just relishing in that happiness. I know it can't last forever...kind of. Like the engaged couple that is 'in love' and being told that you won't always be in love when you're married. It's a wonderful feeling. And yes, it isn't always there in marriage. But I feel like you have new kinds of love, in a deeper sense, for your spouse, and then children. So I guess I was just feeling that love while driving home. Kinda wondering if things could always be this nice. Figuring they may not be the exact same nice, but that the love that I share with my husband and family can still be there. As said, I'm sure part of it is hormones, part Randy Travis singing '...forever and ever, Amen.' That was enough to make this postpartum mama to tear up.
Oh, what am I talking about. I'm so sappy I'd cry at that song if I didn't just have a baby!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Glad to hear you are doing well. Can't wait to hear the birth story :)

It's a wonderful thing to be able to cherish the pampering that comes with all the effort of bringing a new baby into the world. You deserve it, and I'm glad Dan is happy to offer it.

And I cry at that song too-something about lifelong love I think!

Jodie said...

I can't wait to hear your birth story also!

Glad you are doing better and feeling so loved! You deserve it, you are a great mother and wife.

And I cried just reading your post and thinking about the song!!

Post a Comment