Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Time is definitely flying by. The days are getting shorter, and cooler. My favorite season is right around the corner. The brisk, cool mornings still remind me of school. I remember the first fall I didn't attend school, and how awkward it felt. For us, though, school is in session- but in a different element for me. Rose will be in first grade and DD 'preschool'. I'm anxious and nervous and excited and hoping all goes well.


Our camping trip went very well. We discovered new reasons to like Hocking Hills. The campsite we had was the best it could be. It really worked out well, and everything we needed, restrooms, water, playground, were very close. The reason it wasn't simply the best, was that it was a bit small, but looking at all the sites there, they were all small.
The weather was wonderful. Very cool the first evening, and gradually warmed up a bit over the course of the weekend. The food was magnificent, as a collaborative effort. It was nice to spend time with family. That was first and foremost.
Hiking was the event of choice at HH, as they have lots of trails and really neat caves. The first hike was a bit trying. Lots of kids, dangerously steep trails, no guardrails. I think it was because I knew all this (and I know my son DD) that just made me really nervous the whole time. The hike to Ash cave was far different. It was rated for disabled persons, so the path was wide and flat. The kids could run up as much as they wanted!
It was a little tough, for me, seeing what little hiking we did each day. I was set to hike from noon to four. Thankfully, pregnancy slowed me down this year, and I was okay after a much shorter hike. Next day was the same way. I was ready to go, but having the kids with us, we knew would be too much of a challenge. There's lots of steps on these trails. It was one of those moments for me, where I had to put aside my desires, and think of those with me, and what's best for all. I know Dan and I could have gone on for miles, and very much wanted to! But impatient me had to just slow down, and realize, that there will be a day. That time will come. It's not this year, and enjoy things as they are. And I did!! It really helps me to reframe things that way when I get really impulsive and want to go, go, go, do, do, do. It was really nice seeing the kids have a good time, and all being together, and showing them the amazing things that occur in nature. (I teased Dan, by the time our kids are old enough to go on longer hikes, we'll be all fizzled out and ready for the shortest ones!)
Sleeping in our 'palace' tent was fun. Our sleeping bags are sooo cozy. I have to admit, though, the mouse that we found that kept running under our tent at night was ridiculously annoying. Little inconveniences to an overall wonderful trip.

It's funny how I get things stuck in my head, and once past, I move on. Like our camping trip. It was a lot of prep work, and a long, fun weekend. But now that it's past, I'm a little glad, and it's done. I can look toward slowing down, staying home more, making my house more of a home and tending to the needs of my family- something that is difficult to do when things like a camping trip are planned. It's like summer is over, I'm not looking back, and ready for the next season.

One part of our new routine occurred tonight. I took Rose to her first official irish dance class. Yes, the poor girl has been begging me for years to go. I mentioned nothing until a couple hours before the class. She was so delighted. I was so nervous. I've been tossing this whole dance thing around for the last few years. I'm sure I should've had her in classes at three, much to her delight. But something in me just didn't want to do that! Was it spoiling her, starting her in something so young? Was it the commitment of me taking her somewhere, every week? Was it the cost? I think it was a combination of all things. Dan and I look back on our childhoods, where we were in no, and I mean no activities. I entered into sports in high school, and did it all on my own. The same was true with dance. I enjoyed it all so much. I think I'm holding myself back a bit, reluctant to be one of those moms that have their kid in tons of things at the earliest age. Part of me really wants to.
So we decided to take the plunge. I think the biggest fear about the dance area, is knowing what it is like. I was so enmeshed in the world of dance. It took up quite a bit of my life. And I loved it. But I was older, and didn't really care much about anyone or anything else. But I don't want that for my child. I don't foresee me driving all over the country for competitions and sacrificing every Sunday for extra practices and shelling out extra money for this or that. But part of me really wants to. I know we'll find a happy medium, but I'm a bit nervous at my practice of self restraint.
So as far as things went, it was so nice. I saw many familiar dance faces, that I will enjoy seeing each week. I was delighted to see familiar faces of some of the kids in Rose's class! It really put me at ease. And I peeked in and saw Rose on her toes and doing the jumps, and thought 'I'm glad we waited.' She is mature enough to follow along and be interested in what's going on, and not just wanting to 'dance' the whole time. I think she can really appreciate the class and get a lot out of it.


2 comments:

Janelle said...

Glad the camping trip went well! You sound like Tim with all your go, go, go! That's so not me! But since the people I live with are like that-I go, go, go! I too am learning to relish the season I'm in and not be irritated that we're not father down the line.

About activities-I was never allowed to be in anything either and didn't want that for my kids. Our deal is they get to try pretty much everything, starting around kindergarten, to see what they have an interest in, and skills in. I know it will make things more hectic while we are trying different things, but then they can pick 1 or 2 and stick with it.

I think Rose will just love dance :)

Jodie said...

had a great time camping with you guys!

Can't wait to see Rosie dance!! She will be great at it.

Post a Comment