Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I could've stayed up late last night to blog, but I decided to stay awake again today. Easy decision since I was falling asleep on the couch last night. It's kinda what I'd like to do right now too. It's still dark. That's not so inviting to wake up to.


So the latest news in our world was our trip to Kentucky. A very spur of the moment deal last Friday.
See, Dan bought a truck...on eBay...from a guy in KY. And not just across the state line. Like really in KY. He talked about going to get it over the weekend. As he was looking at the map, I saw we were going to be driving right near Mammoth Cave. Hmmm...road trip!
The drive was about three plus hours, so we thought it would be better for the kids and all to leave Fri. and drive back Sat, rather that do it all in one day on Sat. Also adding the exciting, yet totally frivolous expense of a cheap hotel for Friday night. So that's what we did.
The drive down was uneventful, except we found out that our gps takes into account time changes when it predicts your arrival time. No way were we making that trip in two hours! There must be something wrong, we thought. The time changed the last hour we were on the road. Pretty cool.
The hotel was simple enough, yet exciting for the kids (and me!) Sleep escaped me, though. I was plagued by a Sam who had to sleep with us on this small bed, so I was constantly being kicked. It wasn't as bad as the horrific dreams, nightmares, rather, that I had. Really odd. But our lovely continental breakfast had Folgers waiting for me, and a bit of that woke me right up.

Then on to this truck. Sadly, being a woman that I am, I thought Dan should get it because it was a nice color. :) Really, I heard him talk about trucks all summer. I got used to hearing about this or that on a truck, realizing I am not the best to bounce ideas off of when it comes to trucks! But I totally respect that he would talk to me about it, knowing that I don't know technicalities, but that I have something to offer about it, as his wife. I try not to be a ditsy wife, and say, 'Oh what a nice color!' but sometimes, there's not much more to say! He did his research, he knew what machine he was buying, he's awesome at looking for the right price. As he told me all the pros and cons of this truck, I listened and agreed. Then I added, "And ya know, it really is a nice color."

And so it is. It's a smokey grey. It's a Dodge Ram 2500, crew cab, long bed, 4-wheel drive. I think that covers my technical knowledge. Here's what I do know, though: it's big. Really big. It's clean. It's LOUD. But most importantly, it makes my husband so happy. Which makes me so happy.
So I'll briefly digress before I go on about this strange happiness it brings to us.
We got the truck, and proceeded on to Mammoth Cave. I wanted to go on a tour, but the times didn't quite work out, so we went on a short hike to just see the entrance of a cave. Good choice, because that was enough for the kids. The little entrance was cold and dark, neither of which the kids appreciated much. So we walked on a trail for a bit to a nearby spring, then went back to our car. They had a picnic area, so we ate our picnic lunch there and then decided to head home.

About the happiness. It was kinda funny, how Dan drove the truck, paid the man, and we left. I was a bit giddy about the whole thing. I'm sure part of it was that I didn't really make this decision to buy this, I trusted Dan's wisdom and knowledge that this was a good purchase. I was happy to support him. He wasn't so trusting of himself. So for the rest of the day, he was, like nervous. Couldn't relax. Kept thinking of ways this would turn out wrong. I did my best to keep his spirits up. Then I chuckled and reminded him about when we got our van. We were the exact opposite! I, so mistrustful of dealerships, kept thinking of everything that could possibly go wrong with the deal, and said I couldn't be really comfortable in the van for at least a month. Dan was giddy.
But the long drive home was a good warming up for Dan. As I drove the van behind him, we talked and the kids slept. He was talking more about the pros with fewer cons to his purchase, and I agreed. I also pointed out, that it looked good. :) I like everything about it- the color, the size, the design. It's large, but not obnoxious or gaudy.
But as said, I like most of all, the happiness it brings to my husband. It is so nice to see him light up as he tells me all the things he likes about his truck. It's funny to hear him talk about how fun it is to drive. I feel like saying 'what, are you like 16?' Then, me thinks, it's kinda nice to be 16 again for a day. Heck, I feel like a silly schoolgirl when he starts the thing up. I just can't help giggling when I hear 'lug-a, lug-a, lug-a, lug-a' from that loud muffler. Don't know why.
And it makes me just love him so much more to be able to share in his happiness. It also makes me love him so much more to see him as the man of my dreams. It's neat when you're young and dating, or newlyweds, and you have so many hopes and dreams. And you talk and dream about them together. It's so neat to see those dreams fulfilled...whether it's having children, or planting a garden or getting a better position at work, or learning a new skill, or owning a truck. For me, it fits right in with my dream guy. I loved the man I married, but over the years, he's grown in his manhood, which makes me love him all the more. From his rugged work boots, to, well, his big truck, and everything in between that makes him him.
So maybe that's why I giggle when the engine is rumbling. Not only is it ridiculously loud, and I don't at all understand why anyone would want that, but Dan does. And he does want that. And it makes him happy. And I am thrilled to share in his happiness.

4 comments:

Tessa Peyton said...

Peggy, it makes me happy that you love my son so much and you are a good wife to him and a good mother to your children. Enjoy all you can together!

Janelle said...

I'm glad you both like the truck (I'm a big loud truck girl myself so I can relate!) and that it worked out to have a little family time too.

I'm so happy that you're loving your marriage, it's just the best to be married to your best friend, isn't it?

Jodie said...

Glad you are both happy with the truck!

It is a very nice looking truck!

Peyton talk said...

I still have yet to see the truck, I imagine it is somewhat like mine, especially the sound. Jesse just got a new muffler for his bike, and had to put it on last night, road to work today, even being as cold as it is. I think he is enjoying the sound, I don't mind so much, as this will allow cars to maybe hear him first, and that will make him safer, and that eases my anxiety while he is out on the road.

Post a Comment