Thursday, December 31, 2009

What a whirlwind of events...and now it's all calm.

Christmas was very nice. Christmas eve was the most stressful. I think it usually is for me. I stayed up pretty late the night before finishing things up. I spent the eve cooking, and trying to get things ready to go to my sister's house. Dan got off early and did some last minute shopping. By the time we were officially packing up to go, I was tired and stressed, which for me just comes out in tears. So through tears, I'm trying to find something to wear, while the others are getting coats on. By outfit number three, I was thoroughly convinced I look good in nothing, nothing fit right, my sisters always look cuter than me, and I just threw on the pair of jeans that were comfortable and I forgot about the idea of looking cute and stylish and put together. Merry Christmas, huh. I know, but it was the stress and lack of sleep that does that to me. And I knew it. A hug from Dan made it all better, and I was ready to go.
Christmas eve with the Langes was really nice. Lots of people. :) My poor brother caused a bit of drama, before leaving early. But other than that, the evening was perfect. When all the food and festivities were winding down, I couldn't believe it was only 8p! It felt much later. But that left time for the kids to play more, and us to visit with each other more.
I think we ended up leaving at around 9:30, tired. We came home and changed for midnight Mass. The kids got to watch Charlie Brown Christmas while laying on the couch. Sam was so cute. Dan got him dressed and he was laying on a pillow on the floor. After fifteen min. or so, he just rolled over and went to sleep.
We decided to go to midnight Mass at St. Adalbert's this year instead of Cincinnati. It was a tough decision. We thought it would be nice to not be so rushed, and be able to spend more time with my family, since Tom and Robin came.
I just remember how warm it was this year going to Mass! Last year our trip to Cincy was bitterly cold! We had three sleepyheads this year- they all fell asleep on the way to Mass. We woke Rose and Dominic up. The tiny 'church' looked quite lovely, and was full. They found us a pew in the front, with just enough room for us. Sam slept the whole time, and Rose and Dominic were asleep at least by the sermon...because I could actually hear all of it! How nice! The Mass, and music, and chapel were simple, but very beautiful. We were surprised it was so crowded.
We stopped at Speedway to a very chipper cashier to get some coffee. I loved getting home at 1:30, instead of 3. White Christmas (the movie) kept us company while we wrapped gifts. I so did not want to do that this year. But it wasn't too bad.
Christmas morning came quick! The kids came in our room to wake us. They were so excited. As we lay there a few more minutes, you could hear Rose reading the labels of who's present belonged to who. Dan told everyone to get dressed. Sorry, I just couldn't. :) My new jammies were way too comfy (thanks Jen!). Then we all said morning prayers together. Then my mom called. I felt so bad...the kids were just dying to open these gifts! We finally did get to it, and they had a great time. It surprised me how the gifts I thought would bring the most joy, didn't. But other ones did. Oh well. I was happy to see their joy, and not have any arguing or bickering. The rest of the day was a pretty leisure one. Dan and I dozed off for a bit in the afternoon. Then we were inspired to not be the last one's to the Peyton's for Christmas! Ha! It was a lot easier packing up for that, since most of the work was done the day before. Not being so stressed, I quickly found the clothes that fit well and are comfortable.
Christmas at Jesse and Anna's was so nice. We were not the last to arrive, and good thing. Jesse and Anna were really on the ball and the dinner was ready on time! The food was good, and the house was so nice. Anna's tree looked lovely, and the makeshift 'dining room' was very functional.
I had a blast watching the kids all try to wrestle Wesley to the ground after dinner. Ahh, family wrestling on Christmas.
As the evening wore on, I retired to the living room for a comfy chair. I guess the guys found some cards and had several invigorating rounds of poker...from the sound of it. It was a very nice evening.

I wish I had pictures of the kiddos, but I tend to always blog from the laptop, and I don't think we have the program on here for the pictures.

Well, Sam is awake, and competing for my attention. He's such a delightful little guy, though. I think we both had a good night's rest in our respective beds, so some one on one cuddle time is in order this morning. :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth Williams said...

So glad I read your blog and all about your Christmases because they seemed wonderful! Happy New Year, Peggy!

Janelle said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas!

Post a Comment