Gentleness. It's not the first word that comes to mind when I think of virtues. I guess I forget it is a virtue. I mean, faith, hope, charity- those are virtues. Easy to remember- sprinkled everywhere in our rich faith. But gentleness. Isn't that just kind of a 'good idea'? A recommendation of sorts. Maybe that's why I am loving discovering this virtue this month. I love love love Small Steps, and love spending a whole month on this wonderful virtue: Gentleness!!! Yes, a true blue virtue, that we should strive to incorporate in our life, as all the other virtues.
I guess I have no profound comments on how to exactly do this, or how it's working out in my life. :) I'm trying. I can say that much. I'm aware. I try to think before I speak, speak gentleness instead of shout. And it 'works'. I'm all about things working. Meaning: I feel better, my children are happier. We are all calmer, happier, and more apt to do what we are supposed to do.
I wanted to comment on the post from this link. I couldn't read it fast enough...clung to every word.
I wish I had this a dozen years ago. That poor college grad was me...to a T. Checklist and all. Hey, I am a list person, so that was okay, right??? HA! Lists and relationships don't really work. And yet, I felt there was a better way, I just didn't quite know.
I truly think this is the virtue I so need in my life. I know many of my faults and sins can be traced to pride, and I knew I just need to love more. I see now why that was so hard to achieve in my life, because it just seemed too broad. To me, it's like gentleness is a building block to love. Gentleness and humility, go hand in hand, and when you are humble and gentle, you will, in turn, be loving.
And so as I read this, and see that snobby, proud college grad that I was, I have such regrets. It is sooo true. I missed a lot of good people. I missed a lot of good for myself, as a result of scrupulosity.
I know I can't go back and do it over. But I am overjoyed at E. Foss's words. They resound so deeply in my life now, and I am thrilled to be able to have those wise words to share with my children during their lifetime. Oh, but it's not just enough to share those words. I, too, have been so inspired to live those words- with gentleness, and humility.

0 comments:
Post a Comment