Tonight ends as it commonly does after a big party here. My beloved is sleeping on the couch next to me, and I am using the last bit of energy I have to blog.
Today was our oldest daughter's First Communion. What a beautiful day, in so many ways. My stress level leading up to this was so high. We have been working steadily all week to prepare for the Sacrament, and the party. And it all turned out so well. What a lovely group of children that received Jesus today. My heart was swelling with pride, and joy, and finally....
And that's were I fell asleep last night!!! It was a long day...week...month. Add in a teething baby the mix, who didn't go back to sleep at 2am like he was supposed to! THAT was one long night. Amazingly, I still got up the next morning, and we are at church very early. I felt very good about getting done what I needed to do , and finally conceded I could always do more if I had more time.
I loved seeing all the pretty girls in white, and how each dress and veil was different, but equally beautiful. I thought it was so sweet seeing them all kneeling at the communion rail, so ready to receive Jesus. For the most part, they remembered what we practiced, and moved very well as a group.
At Mass, after I received communion, I was thinking about my own Holy Communion. I was also very tired, the sleeplessness of the night catching up to me. Thoughts of my dad were abounding, and I was a ball of helpless emotion. I noticed how all these little girls had their mom sitting next to them, and feeling like I should be doing the same (it started out that way, but then I had to take Blaise an nurse him, and walk with him till he fell asleep. Musical chairs in church, as always). So with a tinge of guilt, I recalled my own first Communion. I recall so vividly receiving Jesus, and returning to my pew, and looking down, to avoid distractions as I prayed my prayer of thanksgiving. Somewhere in that moment, I began to cry. Not surprising for me, I guess. :) But it was my dad that was right next to me, and he handed me his handkerchief. Of course, I was right where I was supposed to be. Missing my dad, though.
I put 'weather permitting' on some of the invitations, thinking we just can't fit everyone in the house if it rains!! But as the day got closer, and the meteorologists concluded there would be rain, I just couldn't bear to tell folks not to come! For once, I didn't worry about it, and told people to come and that it would work out just fine. And guess what? It did!!!
The weather was great...relatively speaking. They were calling for rain most of the day, and it did start to drizzle around 12:30 or so. Then it stopped, and didn't come back till about 4:30 or 5, when we were eating...under an awesome borrowed tent. We got to stay outside almost the whole time. The wind made it a little cooler, so we headed inside to open gifts. It was funny, but we all fit in that tiny living room one way or another.
I even finished up the dishes and got to relax with a cup of tea in the evening! Of course, I couldn't have done it without the help of my dear husband, brother, sisters, in-laws, and my mom!!! All were so great at helping everything go so smoothly.
I'll have to add pictures later. I didn't take a single one. Bateries were going dead.:(

0 comments:
Post a Comment