Can this just be a post on how much I love Small Steps? :) Knowing I have that wonderful book to guide me each morning brings me much joy. :)
Oh, but how is it going actually following what is written in that simple, complete guide? Well, less than joyful. It's just...hard. It's hard to break old habits. It's hard to read wonderful words written by saints and Scripture, and be very inspired, only to turn around and do the exact opposite- out of habit, out of reaction to things.
For me, it is all about slowing down, and taking time to appreciate things all around me- even the seeds of joy! Those smiling faces when I slow down and just give my kiddos a hug, and warmly receive one in return. Taking a deep breath while doing school, and reminding myself this school day will be done at some point today. Or, one of the most challenging things for me, is in that quote from St. Catherine of Sienna:
"They are led and bound more by gentleness than by force or harsh words."
Sheesh! I could take a whole month just trying to put that into practice!!! More realistically, a whole lifetime. "Speak kindly" is not a chore among others on the list of things to do, but rather a written reminder of a virtue in progress, that can't ever really be checked off or finished. That's sometimes difficult for my brain to accept.
That said, I come back to this lovely book which has inspired me. Inspired me to take it one day at a time...one moment at a time. Take a deep breath, smile, every day. Especially immediately following the words: "Rose, we have to do school today." :)

2 comments:
Thanks for your comment on Faith on the High Wire. Yes, we do seem to think alike. :o) The whole "speak kindly" issue is a big one for me. I'm a sarcastic NY'er...always have been, probably always will be, but that's where my goal for "speak less frequently" comes in. I think if I'm listening to the Lord, the sarcasm will be used appropriately in humor, not in discipline or opinion. It's worth a shot...and if God wills it, I'll see the fruit of the effort -- and maybe find joy!
Blessings,
Kathy
Don't you mean, "We GET to do school today?" ha! I'm in the same boat when I say, "Okay boys, it's schoolwork time!"
You're doing a wonderful job!
Post a Comment