As a homeschooler, I teach my kids. We 'do' school. Math, religion, reading, writing, science, history, art. But lately, I've been pondering how to teach other things. See, it seems quite easy, now, to explain or show someone how to add, or read, or even Irish dance. Here's the rules, here's the steps, here's the numbers, this letter says that. And then the child does them. And you see them do it. And you correct the mistakes, until they get it right. And the child learns.
So how do you teach a child how to trust? Or how to love? Or how to forgive? Or how value themselves and love themselves as a child of God? How do you teach them confidence, without it turning into stubborn pride? How do you teach them humility, without it causing self-anguish? How do you teach them to just let go...to trust in God? To believe, really believe, in things you can't see, and that there are ones who love you and will do anything for you???
If there are adults out there that struggle with these things, how am I to be certain to instill them in my children??? I worry a lot about their schooling, naturally, as a homeschooling mom, but at least it's pretty cut and dry. I know whether or not my child can read a story, or add and subtract. It's a little harder to discern if they're having trouble trusting today.
I had a talk with a dear friend today, who struggled with trust, and love, and guilt, and acceptance. I walked away feeling like I would do a disservice to my children if I didn't teach them these things. Oh, but how.

2 comments:
You already know the answer to this, you're doing it-by example. You have to live it and show it to them all the time. The verses I use to guide my parenting are Deuteronomy 6:4-9. I am turning into the person I want to be by modeling the kind of person I want my boys to be. It's a long process to be sure...
You are a great mom, and contemplating these things just proves it!
I'm smiling, Janelle, because I kinda could've kept writing, and I just kinda stopped. The next line would have been your first sentence...exactly. :) Maybe I was just too scared to write it!!! It seems so daunting! Thanks for the verse suggestion, and you kind words!!!
Post a Comment