Just a quick note about what happened last night.
Home renovation is in full swing with a busy schedule and plans to move in soon!!! Very exciting! We're at the house on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat. I love having a routine to work around, despite it's busyness.
So, we were supposed to finish sanding the floors last night. I was going to the basement to get an extension cord, just to find a huge puddle in the basement. By huge, I mean half of the basement!!! Water, that covered my boot when I stepped in it! Obviously the floor drain in the basement wasn't working. We pieced together what happened rather quickly. There is a drain right outside the basement garage door, and it was clogged. All the rain water we got leaked in by the garage door, and through to the basement. The basement drain, which is connected to the other drain, was clogged as well. Thus a lot of misplaced water. I was nervously uneasy about the whole thing, praying constantly that it would be resolved. Dan, though disappointed, seemed ready for the task and just went to work at it. He called his Dad (of course!) After the call, he was confidently assessing the property, before he headed to Home Depot for some tools. He came home with a beefy looking snake and proceeded to clean out the drains. The outside one cleared, but the one in the basement was a little more tricky, requiring help from the shop vac. Dan pretty much vacuumed out all the debris that was clogging that drain. And thanks be to God we got all the water cleaned up.
Now, about the grace. I'm not going to lie. When things go wrong in our life, we can get frustrated, angry, irritable, grumpy- you get the idea. It makes communication worse, and in turn, the whole situation worse. What happened? We didn't do that! We saw the situation. Dan went right to work, and I jumped in to help wherever I could. I don't ever recall having an unexpected situation go so well. Yes, I breathed a prayer every time Dan was clearing the drain, or examining the pipelines. So is this how life looks like when touched by grace??? To have calamities happen, and walk away feeling...happier? Happier that we didn't have to spend three times the amount of money to hire someone to fix it? Happier that Home Depot was so close, and had a tool that worked for us in this situation? Happier that we found strength to keep the negative comments away, so as to focus on the job, and help each other? Happier that I have a dear, dear sister willing and able to take my kids home for me so I could stay and help Dan? Happier that it was only a clogged drain, and not leaking basement walls? Happier that I had planned my meals, and so after all this mess, I knew we would have a hearty, hot meal at home? Happier that Dan has a dad he can call, to talk to about such calamities, and how it always, ALWAYS, helps him?
Driving home last night I had tears in my eyes and full, grateful heart. Thanks be to God for his grace in our life.
Monday, February 4, 2013
Is this what grace looks like?
Posted by
Dan and Peg
at
Monday, February 04, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Love this post!
Post a Comment